Monday, November 14, 2011

Journal #14 on "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien


If I were a solider in Lieutenant Jimmy Cross’s unit I would carry a lot for my survival first of all. I would carry with me the basic needs like, matches, a canteen, a knife, a gun (maybe), water purifying tablets, dry clothes, waterproof blanket, jacket etc. I could go down a list of everything I would pack from large to small for survival but the things I would carry would be different. I can also say here there is a difference I think when we say “pack” versus “carry.” It’s interesting how when I named off the survival tools I was going to “pack them” but the sentimental items I’m about to list and describe I would “carry.” I would carry them physically close to my body and close to my heart. First off, my baby blanket, I know I’m in college and 21, but I have slept with that blanket my whole life. I have many family stories about it. As a child I would always prepare myself if bad weather was coming by having it wrapped around me so if something, like a tornado, were to tear up our house I would have the one item that I cherish with me. I would try to keep that somewhere near. Maybe I would cut a section of it wrap it around my waist. I would have a picture of my family, there isn’t one I could pin point, but just one of us. Then a picture of my sister and I as babies. Then, I would carry a picture of my 3 best friends from home and the one from college. I would most certainly carry my New Testament with me as well. I really enjoyed reading this essay because of how current it is. It makes me happy to know that writers can still provoke so much emotion even in this day in age when technology seems to steal that away from us. It was an emotional essay for me to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment