Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Journal #13 on Zitkala-Sa (Gertrude Bonnin)

I think Zitkala-Sa is a story of the American Dream, relatively speaking in her pursuit of an education. “At the close of this second term of three years I was the proud owner of my first diploma” (pg. 437). What I find interesting is that her venture to receive a diploma and to move on towards a greater education is that of the American Dream. In this day in age, a high school diploma is good, a college diploma is significantly the best, but now most employers want people with the highest degree attainable and that’s graduate school and even on to a doctorate. What I find interesting is that her pursuit of finding a better education is what she feels pressured to do because of her European blood, but what I find interesting also is she feels guilty and saddened for leaving her mother and that is what I think a lot of Americans feel too when they leave for college or to receive a higher degree. In the American Dream we want what is best for ourselves but in the midst of that pursuit we feel like we have to leave behind the loved ones that encouraged us to go forth and purse that quest. So it’s an interesting way she attains the American Dream by pursing a higher education, but leaves behind the ones she loves the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment