Thursday, September 1, 2011

ENGL 20503 Post #2


I think what we read about the advancement of the print culture in America was fascinating. I am in the journalism school here and we’ve briefly touched on the subject of the invention of the printing press, who invented it and the basic icons of the advancement of print, but I’ve never read anything like this before and I really enjoyed it. I think taking away all that I have read in this section will be beneficial to me as I advance in my career. If in further discussion history of print culture comes up, I have some knowledge of what’s going on. I find it so interesting the magnitude of influence Benjamin Franklin had in this era. Although, I have heard sleezy things that Mr. Franklin was like as a character, it doesn’t defeat the notion of how influential he was in creating this American ideal of education. I appreciate that even today as a student and young journalist in America that he would be so willing to pursue our right to the First Amendment and give future generations that right to exercise it in such a way where we are free from tyranny and persecution if we said something that might offend another party. Overall, I really enjoyed this selection of reading for today. I enjoy expanding my knowledge of American history through the eyes of literature.

1 comment:

  1. You should read this book by Paul Starr: The Creation of the Media: Political Origins of Modern Communication. He won the Pulitzer for it.

    ReplyDelete