Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Blog 11


I’ve been curious to know how and why America was still able to attract immigrants when there was so much hostility among the citizens. Didn’t people in Europe have an idea as to the amount of killings and suffering in the colored community there was? If I were an immigrant coming to America, being white, I would think I would be more readily accepted if I knew about everything going on. But I would still be reluctant to come here if I knew the amount of hate crimes. At the same time looking back in history, most white people followed the actions of the rest of the white community in order to not be discriminated in that community; so I would also be reluctant not to follow along with the crowd in favor of protecting my reputation. Which does sadden me, I would hope I would have still have the same attitude I do now about lynching and hate crimes, that I don’t agree with them, but again I just simply don’t know because I didn’t live in those times. But, then reflecting back to McKay’s poems, he was a world traveler, always seeking a way to come back to America despite the hate. He was a black man and to think about his life experience and what it bought him, if people did come here to the states at this time of hate, life would bring them more trials, but more rewards. McKay’s poem “America” explains my thought process perfectly when he writes:
“Although she feeds me bread of bitterness, and sinks into my throat her tiger’s tooth, stealing my breath of life, I will confess I love this cultured hell that tests me soul.”
Its so endearing to here him say such a thing, despite being treated the way he was. It goes to show that life is not easy and challenges will always be present, but if you have a will to fight for what you believe in, you will succeed and in the end be grateful for the time of pain because it brought you so much pleasure in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Some of the places they left behind were worse than the unknown of America. Think of the Russian Jews and the Pograms of the 19th century. And what about the constant hunger that many of the poor suffered from? Besides, all the idealized messages sent back by family, by the print culture, and by dreams would have been a strong pull.

    ReplyDelete